Our History The original Camp Verde Methodist Episcopal Church is shown in the background. In the 1920’s, the top floor was the original part of the church and the bottom was new. The original church was raised to be the top floor and the bottom floor was an addition.
Lillian Sweeten remembers, while living near Rimrock, an unknown woman phoned her with the news that the church was on fire. By the time she arrived at the church, only the fellowship hall was standing, except for the cross. That same cross was saved and has been remounted on our present church. Lillian says there was no hesitation – the congregation decided to rebuild. For the next year, she remembers going to Methodist services at the Catholic Church while building was in progress. During the rebuilding process, VBS children met at the church and were taken to the banks of the Verde River for VBS classes.
Virginia Purinton speaks of early Pastors Ryan, McCarthur and especially of a newly ordained Eric Folsom who came to Camp Verde from Alabama and remembers that he loved to “talk about his superior checker playing ability”. His mother and brother even moved here with him. Virginia recalls his beautiful voice and that he sang a solo every Sunday. He baptized Virginia when she was 14 years old, by emersion in the Verde River. A later minister, Rev. Clark, supervised the building of a new stucco (or brick) church then the raising of the existing wood frame church to the top floor, sometime before 1924.